Archive for June, 2015
I am one. So are many of you. According to Jane Ganal, ‘Heightened Sensitivity: Help For The Overstimulated’, (Spirituality & Health, July/August 2015), we make up about 20% of the population.
In her book, The Highly Sensitive Person, Elaine Aron PhD. describes the characteristics we all share.
- We feel things more deeply.
- We are emotionally reactive and brimming over with empathy for the plight of our fellow humans.
- We take longer and we struggle to make decisions.
- We are detail oriented to the extreme; we notice subtleties, and tend toward perfectionism.
- We are more prone to depression and anxiety.
- We are not all introverts.
- We are sensitive to violence, loudness, and criticism.
- We are better mannered than most.
We often feel out of step with our families, our friends, our culture and our times. But a wonderful gift that comes with the ‘curse’ is that we are also very creative.
Keys to learning how to manage being an HSP:
- Get your creativity in full gear.
- Turn off the news. Don’t watch movies, dramas, etc. that evoke your empathic nature.
- Learn how not to absorb and hang onto the negative energies of others, be it anger, depression or excessive drama.
- Connect with your fellow HSP’s.
- Find and seize alone time! It is critical for HSP’s to find activities, space and quiet that help them to retreat, re-charge, and feed their souls. We cannot give to ourselves or others from an empty tank (heart).
Learn to control the inner critic that tells you that you are too sensitive, too inadequate, and not perfect. Centering into the truth of who you are is a path to inner peace.
The Sun moved into the second season of cycles yesterday at 9:38 am. I am always heartened by the reliable continuity of shifting cycles and seasons.
They offer us time to pause, to relax, to reflect, to rejoice and to celebrate the Cosmic Harmonic; the poignant and powerful symphony of soul-self and spirit consciousness.
This week, I invite you to take advantage of this gracious gift of the heavens. Snatch a sacred moment from the tumultuous din that is our daily grind. Refresh and renew yourself in the light of the Sun
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each others’ life.”
“When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see the real you, or what you have been conditioned to believe is you? The two are so, so different. One is an infinite consciousness capable of being and creating whatever it chooses, the other is an illusion imprisoned by its own perceived and programmed limitations.”
“We have reached a new milestone as a human family. With seven billion of us now inhabiting our planet, it is time to ask some fundamental questions. How can we provide a dignified life for ourselves and future generations while preserving and protecting the global commons — the atmosphere, the oceans and the eco-systems that support us?”
~United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon